Monday, August 13, 2012

Foils finally finished

Both the rudder foil and the keel are now finished after applying three coats of primer, a bunch a fairing material and four coats of Interlux Perfection paint.

I couldn't be happier with the way these came out.  The only things left to do are:

  • Fasten a stainless steel plate on the top of the keel.  This will be done with the "Ikea" technique of drilling holes horizontally through the keel which will hold a nut and washer and then drilling down from the top for the bolt which holds on the top plate.
  • I'm going to fabricate a handle for the top of the rudder out of cedar and mahogany.  I left a 1-1/2" carbon fiber tab on top of the rudder to hold the handle.
  • I still need to mold the rudder cassette.  Now that the rudder is finished, I can use it as the mold for the cassette. 

No comments:

Post a Comment