Sunday, August 21, 2011

Cockpit floor and sides are in.

 I cut the cockpit floor for the boat quite a while ago but it turned out that I did not make it wide enough at the front end of the cockpit.   Also with all of the other work going on in the center and aft end of the boat, I did not glue down the floor.  I removed the floor and scarfed on a couple of side pieces and re-cut the floor to match the cockpit side pieces.  Once that was done, I "flow coated" the bottom of the floor,  then mixed up a whole bunch of epoxy goop using West system 403 filler, coated the tops of all of the support members and then glued the whole thing down. 
Of course it's important to get good contact between the floor and the underlying supports while the glue dries, so I used weights and some of the lead ingots that I bought for the keel bulb to hold everything down.  


After the floor set up a bit, I then filleted the cockpit sides and floor joints.    My plan is to reinforce the outside of these joints (inside the boat) with glass biax tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment