Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Top done for now

The cabin top is complete (for now).  All of the strips have been glued, and I have sanded and glassed both the inside and outside surfaces.  Unfortunately, some of the staple holes are quite prominent.  In retrospect, I should have spent more time figuring out the color of the filler for the holes.  Interestingly, the inside doesn't have any holes and looks beautiful.  If I were going to build a bunch of these, I would build an exterior frame and build the cabin top upside down with the staples on the inside.  Also, by dialing back the pressure on the air driven stapler, the staples would not drive below surface level and the overall appearance would be better.  I still need to put a couple of coats of epoxy on at least the outside surface, and of course eventually give it several coats of UV resistant varnish.  


I have the cabin-top on the boat, but I'm going to put it aside now until I finish the interior of the boat.  Next up, I have to glass in the hull side stringers, install the chain plate gussets, glass in the bunks, and then coat the whole interior with a couple coats of epoxy.  I'm planning on leaving the interior natural colored.  

No comments:

Post a Comment