Friday, May 13, 2011

Wood in the shape of a boat

 We now have a boat-shaped object in the garage.  I've chosen to use the 1/2 inch PVC pipe technique in order to align the panels on the boat.  The basic idea is to wrap the zip-ties around small segments of PVC pipe in order to more closely align the edges of the plywood.  This worked very well where the panels meet at oblique angles, however near the bow where the bottom meets the side at almost 90 degrees, it is harder to maintain exact alignment.  I think that putting in the bow stem will take care of some of these issues.
If you look at the picture closely, you'll notice that I chose to build the side panels "backwards" with respect to the plans, with the seams closer to the stern rather than the bow.  I did this for two reasons: 1) so that the side panel seams don't align with the seam on the bottom panel, and 2) I really think that there is less stress on the plywood at the back of the boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment