Sunday, May 29, 2011

Keel box is in

 Memorial Day weekend - Sunday was the day that I was going to install the keel-box.  I had previously reinforced the floor of the boat between frames 110 and 124 with an additional layer of 1/4" hydrotek.  Yesterday I then glued on a template for the keel sleeve using a NACA 0012 shape.  The template was 2" wide by 14 1/8" and fit perfectly between the 110 and 124 frames.  
As the picture on the left shows, I then glued on the sides of the keel-box which were made out of three 1/4" ply laminated together (it would have been nice to have some 3/4" Hydrotek.  Note that I glued on some pieces outside of these boards so that i can create a recess in the deck for the keel top plate.



Once the Keel-box sides were in, I reinforced the floor of the boat further with another piece of 1/4" ply and then glued angled supports on to frames 110 and 124 which provide further support for both the keel-box and the floor.  If you zoom into the pictures you'll get a better view of these supports.  


Finally, I used the West System scarfer to angle the edges of the floor reinforcements so that there is a nice smooth transition.  


Next up for tomorrow, is to fillet and glass in all of the frames.  I had previously put mini-fillets on the frames to hold them in place more securely than with just the zip ties.  

No comments:

Post a Comment